For someone dealing with an addiction to drugs or alcohol, being able to communicate with friends, family, and counselors is an important part of recovery. In fact, talking through some of the things that may be affecting a person is a good way to prevent substance abuse before it gets to the point of addiction. No one uses with the intention of being strung out and alienated from everything and everyone they love. People often resort to drug and alcohol usage to escape the troubles that come up in their lives. Drugs provide them with what they believe to be is a way out. Unfortunately, the behavior that they exhibit and the resulting consequences of those actions is what leads them to the doors of the Treatment Alternatives Boca Raton rehab center.
Why is Communication So Effective in Drug Treatment?
Think about this for a moment: Have you ever had a bad day and just needed to vent to someone? Did it help? Although substance abuse is a bit more complicated than that, it’s important to understand that drug addicts have had many bad days and their outlet is the very thing that’s fueling their problem. At the Treatment Alternatives Boca Raton rehab center, we believe in open communication throughout drug treatment. As an institution that doesn’t discriminate against or condemn its residents for their mistakes, we pride ourselves on the trust that our patients have built with the staff.
For someone living with the burden of bottled up emotions and regrets, being able to express their daily struggles is a relief. Sober living is a goal that is difficult to obtain for someone battling serious addiction. It requires a willingness and desire to be free of any form of substance abuse and an ability to persevere through the stress of withdraw. Open communication allows the addict to remain mentally focused and much more receptive to treatment. We encourage communication with counselors and family members throughout the process.
What Open Communication Methods Can Be Used Before Drug Treatment?
Developing communication doesn’t necessarily have to begin at the Treatment Alternatives drug rehab center. Friends and loved ones of an addict can start at home with the following open communication tips for drug treatment:
- Begin a dialogue by sharing stories of regrets that they themselves have made and how it not only affects them personally, but people around them as well.
- Approach them from a place of love, forgiveness and acceptance. Addicts, especially those who have committed crimes, are judged enough. They don’t need anyone to contribute to the disdain and malice they are shown from everyone else.
- Address the elephant in the room. As much as it is important to not throw their addiction in their face with a judgmental disposition, it’s especially important to not patronize them and skate around the fact that they are using drugs.
- Talk to them with the intent to do just that. Don’t attempt to force them into a Boca Raton rehab center right away. While it’s obviously important that they seek help with their substance abuse, they may not be in a state of mind where rehab will be successful.
In 1994, the Back to Sleep campaign was established and recommended that parents place their infants on their back while sleeping. Since then there has been a positive reduction in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). However, chiropractors are now noting a rise in Plagiocephaly which is flattening of the cranial bones from prolonged back lying.
Unfortunately, it is not an aesthetic issue, chiropractors are seeing the effects of Plagiocephaly such as developmental delays and poor tone in infants.
Parents should note the importance that Tummy Time plays on a child’s development. This ensures they are lifting and turning their head. Chiropactors suggest at every nappy change, Tummy Time should occur for atleast 30 seconds. The lifiting of the infants head aims to stimulate the nerve pathways at the back of their neck improving the messages which travel to and from a part in the brain involved in cognitive (attention and language processing) and motor (muscle strength) development.
Boost Your Immunity
Now that winter is upon us we need to prepare our immune systems for the cold, flu and cough season. Naturopath’s suggest warming foods, hot drinks, supplementation along with plenty of rest.
If your immune system needs a boost, a naturopath will recommend dietary, nutritional and herbal support.
- Fruits for boosting immunity
- Immune system boosting vegetables
- Herbs and other natural supplements
- In addition, a naturopath may recommend specific vitamins and minerals as immune system boosters.
As well as recommending healthy foods, herbs and supplements, a naturopath will also give advice about substances to avoid. These foods often contain high levels of unhealthy sugars and fats and low levels of nutrients.
Stress also have ruinous effects on the immune system. Stress reductions strategies to boost immunity may include regular exercise, meditation, breathing exercises or just time away from a stressful environment.